- Straw, hay, smooth sticks, pebbles, pea gravel, leaves, water, sand, soil and any other resource that can be walked on barefoot safely
- Large trays or shallow containers or a tarp
- Collect together a variety of large trays (if desired)
What You Do
- Decide with the group how long the Texture Trail will be and in which direction it will follow.
- Use a collection of a variety of different resources.
- Put all of one resource together to make a distinct section.
- Create a number of sections and place one after the other.
- Bare soil or leaves can be left between all or some of the sections.
- When ready, all line up at one end and create pairs.
- One of the pairs will take off their shoes and socks.
- They can close their eyes or put on a blindfold.
- Then one partner will guide them through the Barefoot Texture Trail giving instructions all the time.
- They can hold hands or be guided just by the voice.
- Describe the textures and feeling underfoot, can they guess what the textures are?
- Swap around.
- You can leave this out and vary the texture each time, or vary the order.