Get Children Outdoors is about inspiring all parents and teachers to find new ways of using the world beyond their front door to connect to their children and foster their sense of identity.
My belief in the power of the outdoors and in education centred on the emotional and developmental needs of children led me to set up Forest Schools in ___. These school focus on developing skills for life which are practical, self-affirming and help children to become more aware of themselves and their actions.
Building on the successful work of Scandinavian schools, Forest Schools provide a unique and dynamic environment for children that can’t be found in most classrooms. It’s my hope that Forest Schools will grow in popularity, and begin to have a profound impact on the way that other educators utilise the outdoors.
Forest Schools Is…
- An innovative educational approach to outdoor play and learning
- In a woodland environment, children participate in engaging, motivating and achievable tasks.
- The philosophy is to encourage and inspire individuals of any age through positive outdoor experiences.
- Forest Schools has demonstrated success with children of all ages who visit the same local woodlands on a regular basis and through play…
- They have the opportunity to learn about the natural environment, how to handle risks and most importantly to use their own initiative to solve problems and co-operate with others.
- Forest Schools Programmes run throughout the year, for about 36 weeks, going to the woods in all weathers (except for high winds).
- Children use full sized tools, play, learn boundaries of behaviour; both physical and social, establish and grow in confidence, self-esteem and become self motivated.
- These experiences (through self awareness) can be developed to reach personal potential. Each participant has an opportunity to develop intrinsic motivation, sound emotional and social skills.
Forest Schools will aim to develop:
- Self Awareness
- Self Regulations
- Intrinsic motivation
- Good social communications skills
- A positive mental attitude, self-esteem and confidence
- Forest Schools, through the application of Accelerated Learning techniques, create a unique learning vehicle that is used to encourage a range of individuals, community groups and larger organisations to utilise their local open space for interactive play, health, recreation and personal development uses.